Saturday, October 26, 2013

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Almost like an everyday teen’s diary


What My Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones


The main character is Sophie, she is 15 and in high school. She is a little boy crazy like every girl in high school and finally gets asked out by the boy of her dreams, Dylan. Throughout the relationship though she notices Dylan's weirdness and doesn’t know what to do. She still wants to date him because she does still like him. Until she starts an unexpected relationship with a person from an online chat room. This relationship I can’t say much about but it gives Sophie the confidence to breakup with Dylan. The rest of the book is basically based on the Halloween school dance she goes to. She ends up dancing with a masked man and she tries to find out his identity throughout the rest of the book. When she finds out who this person is, you will definitely be surprised.


“A verse experience that will leave readers sighing with recognition and satisfaction.”
-Kirkus Reviews, on the back of the book.


This book is different from any of the books I’ve read before. The writing style really makes this book unique from the others. Sonya Sones writes each page sort of like how poems are written. There’s line breaks and the lines are shorter than other lines in books. She writes the story in any 15 year old girl’s perspective.  


“Dylan says
when I meet his mother today
I shouldn’t mention
that I’m Jewish.


I say
okay, but can I
tell her about
the HIV positive thing?


He gives me a look.
I give him one back” (74).


I really liked this book. I feel like every girl could relate so some parts of the book at least. Just an average teen girl dealing with the normal drama and boys and grades and what not.


I give What my Mother Doesn’t Know 4 Paws - Pounce on It  

No comments:

Post a Comment